The Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Justice Chair the Health Sector Working Group. The United Nations Development Programme is the Co-Chair.
- To streamline the state administrative framework in 2015 the Government continued consultations on the amendments to the Law on Government, Law on Local Administration and on the draft Law on City and Municipality.
- The Sector Working Group, led by the National Assembly, the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Home Affairs, held discussions on proposed changes to the Constitution and the proposal to establish local Provincial Assemblies. The draft constitution should be laid before \ National Assembly in December 2015 for approval.
- Under the Sam Sang initiative, local administrations are being assigned more responsibilities and authority for local development and poverty reduction. After a 2-year pilot, the government has extended the policy to cover all provinces from 2015.
- To ensure all citizens rights, the Government is ensuring every citizen is included in a national vital registration system, with birth, marriage, divorce and death included.
- In August 2015 the Sector Working Group organized a panel discussion with government, civil society and development partners. The discussion helped create a common understanding of what people’s participation could and should mean in Lao PDR.
- Progress was made in strengthening the National Assembly and people’s participation in the decision making process.
- 149 Non Profit Associations are now officially registered and there has been increasing recognition by the government of the valuable role civil society plays as a service provider.
- With regards to the Rule of Law, the 2nd cycle of the Universal Period Review for Lao PDR took place this year.
For more information please read the Sector Working Group Progress Report
Pre-consultation for the 12th High-Level Round Table Meeting
Dr. Khammoune Viphongsay, Vice Minister of Home Affairs with Ms. Kaarina Immonen, UNDP Resident Representative. Photo: UNDP Lao PDR
November 9th, 2015 – In preparation for the 12th High-Level Round Table Meeting, government ministries, development partners and civil society organizations came together to take stock of key achievements and challenges in the governance sector, and to clarify key messages for the upcoming High-Level Round Table Meeting.
Read the opening remarks from UNDP Resident Representative Kaarina Immonen
Sub-Sector Working Groups
The Governance Sector Working Group includes two sub-Sector Working Groups:
- Public service Improvement
Chair – Vice Minister of Home Affairs. Co-Chairs – UNDP and the SDC.
- Legal and Institutional Oversight
Chair – Vice Minister of Justice. Co-Chairs – UNDP and EU]